Monday, March 22, 2010

Empty Nest Syndrome

The girls got moved into their new chicken coop two weeks ago, now. The kids think it is great that the hens have their own little house and yard. Here soon I need to decide which ones to keep and which ones will be going to new homes. It is tempting to keep them all - they are so interesting to watch! In a few more months, they'll be allowed to roam the entire backyard.

First afternoon in the newly-finished coop.



I have been watching craigslist for weeks now and came across a breed I thought I'd have to order from a breeder across the country - Wheaten Marans!! Hubby agreed that I could get two - so it was time to get the brooder back out! I've read that you should be able to sex them at this age by looking at their wings: definite black = boy; fawn/tan = girl. For now, it looks like I have one of each. I'm so excited to have them - the hens are such beautiful birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment