Thursday, April 7, 2011

Name-change coming...

As soon as I get word back from ADGA (American Dairy Goat Association) and AGS (American Goat Society), I will be changing the name of this blog. I have a few herdnames that I've picked out, so we'll see which one gets the thumbs-up.

I read through a couple of my old posts and remember writing that I didn't particularly want or need registered goats. I guess I'll explain why I ended up going with registered instead of grade or mixed-breed. The basic reason was milk production. The two breeds I was considering were LaMacha and Nigerian Dwarf. Reality is we have under an acre and a half, so the smaller option was the better one. The problem...lots of folks breed Nigerians just for pets. If you can't be sure how well a doe's dam milked, then you cannot begin to guess how well she will milk. Lots of grade and mixed-breed standard goats milk well, but I didn't want to take a chance with a grade Nigerian. I would really love to have a mini-Mancha one day though...

No comments:

Post a Comment