Saturday, May 9, 2009

New books and random other things

I had to run some errands today and while I was out I picked up three new books! Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats and Chickens and Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game by Mettler. I won't have time to read them anytime soon but I have something to look forward to when I get some free time.

I got my herbs planted this evening. Lavender, Thyme, Basil, and Parsley. I can't find my packet of chives seeds. Chamomile is next on the list if I can it. Also planted some California Poppies. They grow wild around here and are just amazingly beautiful. I didn't want to mess with the wild ones so blew 99 cents on a package of seeds. I can't wait to have some blooming outside my door.

The cauliflower seedlings are already growing like gangbusters. They just peeked above soil this morning and they're suddenly over an inch tall! The top is off the little greenhouse right now as it was pretty steamy in there. Every seed I've started inside has died due to damping-off disease so I'm trying to prevent that. I also read somewhere that watering with chamomile tea will prevent this problem. When they need watering, I'll give it a shot. The corn is already coming up too - planted two days ago. This why I love gardening - the promise of things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment