Sunday, May 10, 2009

A wonderful Mother's Day

Wow, I had a great day thanks to the three most important people in my life. We were out all day today but the kids were wonderful, even though they are thoroughly exhausted (Little Man is currently passed out on the couch). We started the day at the Sportsman's Warehouse - hubby has been wanting to show me this place for weeks! We left with a case for hubby's bow - an early anniversary gift. I've been looking at them online but when we went today I decided, what the heck? This way he can pick it out himself - he's rather particular, and currently happier than a pig in the sunshine.

From there, we went around to a few pet stores. I was looking for a book on doves but wasn't successful in acquiring one. Flight cages were also on the list of look-ats (and eventual must-haves). As the day went on, I could tell hubby was coming around to the dove idea. After all, they're quiet, beautiful, don't take much space, don't stink, and aren't considered agricultural animals. Our final stop was supposed to be to pick up a pair of black clown fish for my salt water reef tank. The only fish at the store had a lot of orange on their face, so we decided to wait on another shipment. Hubby was pretty disappointed by this - thought that it somehow ruined my day - so he said I could get my doves! Yay! I'm going to be doing a lot of research over the next couple of weeks, but I think I want ringneck doves. They seem to come in a lot of color variations, which will definitely keep things interesting! What I've read suggests that pigeons would be a better choice for meat (because of their larger size) but people seem to have completely different feelings when it comes to pigeons. So, doves it is. Not that I mind one bit.

After the final pet store, hubby wanted to stop by Home Depot to pick out a shed. Afterall, he's going to need to do some rearranging outside so the doves can have protected spot on our back porch. While we were there I decided to give the blueberries one last shot - and they had some! Woohoo! We picked up one bush each of the Misty and Oneal varieties. The Oneal bush already has a little cluster of berries on it. I am ridiculously excited about this - I've been looking for blueberries for a year now. No one ever has them and online stores can't ship theirs to CA. It's been extremely frustrating. We are going to plant these guys in the front yard under our pine tree in the coming week. I may also root a few cuttings so we can take them along when we move.

Our final stop was dinner at a fabulous little Mexican joint on the way home. Wow they have the best food! Delish. As we were headed home I mentioned that someone at work told me about an alternate route we could take to get back to the base. 'Really? Wanna check it out?' asked Hubby? Sure! It's been a long time since we did anything even a little unexpected. The other route took us on a nice drive through the country, around an enormous lake and finally down a gravel road back to one of the base entrances. It was beautiful back there. It really is too bad CA has such high property taxes. I would not mind living in this area one bit.

So, that was my day. It was the best Mother's Day yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment